Tuesday, May 15, 2012


The Allen List

When I wanted to be a copywriter, I didn’t know how to write. My girlfriend’s mom had to buy me Strunk and White’s Elements of Style because I didn’t even know if you capitalized the days of the week (you do). I also wasn’t a big fan of reading. But I remember a teacher of mine saying, “If you want to write, write, write, you have to read, read, read.”

I was a huge Woody Allen fan. So I read a biography on him by Eric Lax. I started writing down every author, playwright, poet, and philosopher Woody mentioned in the book and made myself a reading list. This was like twenty years ago and I think I’m almost done reading everything on it.

This is the original list from 1991, maybe someone will get a kick out of it. The quote on the top, “Aim High” is advice from Woody’s sister Netty Konigsberg when Woody was starting out on his career at age 15.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice.

    But you need to a book that describes what it means to be "almost done". Because you got a bunch of stuff still on that list.

    And yes, I realize that last sentence was only a fragment. I know that because I totally read Strunk & White.

    Oh yeah, congrats on Little Caesars. I recommend adding one more "pizza" to their current tagline. (i.e. Pizza Pizza Pizza)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL EXAMS RESULTS

    Job Tips, Interview Tips, Latest Text papers, Exam Results, Question papers, Answer papers, Job Applications, Online Education Topics.

    http://online-education-topics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete