Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Excuse me, I was talking. Can I finish?

On the RHOC, Alexis was explaining to Peggy how she and Jim started their lives 7 years ago and whatever happened before that, they don't talk about, so it didn't happen. The world began in 2004 according to Jim and Alexis. But Peggy was still trying to talk about the time or times 15 years ago when she and Jim were sleeping together. But Alexis, who you have to admit is the poster child for plastic surgery, she looks great, as opposed to poor Vicki. I mean, oh my god. Four or five years ago Vicki just looked like one of the Whos in Ron Howard's mess, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. But last night on Andy's reunion part 2 it looked like she got Jowl implants. Her nostrils are still perpendicular to the floor and she still has those sunken, beady eyes, but now her jowls sway from side to side whenever she disagrees with Tamra.

Alexis was blabbing with her self-described perfect lips about how nothing has ever happened in the world before '04 and Peggy went to interject the fact that Jim had interjected her 15 years ago, and Alexis pulls out the old stand by, "Excuse me, I was talking, can I finish?" She then went on for the next 5 minutes explaining how she was talking and if she could just be extended the courtesy of finishing her thought, that would be the lady like thing to do. Peggy didn't help, she just kept jumping in every time Alexis tried to grab a breath - Can, "I fucked him", I, "fucked him", just, "fucked him", finish, "Bang Bang", talking?

Every time someone says "Can I finish?" or "I was talking" what they really mean is "I know I am losing this argument, but I am going to filibuster by talking about the fact that you won't let me finish even though I have nothing more to say." The best thing to do when someone yanks this debating tool out is to shut up. Don't say a word. Because if they actually had something to say, they would be saying it. They are talking when they are asking you if they can finish talking, you have not interrupted someone if they are telling you that you have interrupted them. Just smile and let them flounder away. If that doesn't work, stare at the part of their face that they have had plastic surgery on, like their fish lips or swinging jowls. That works too.

No comments:

Post a Comment