Tuesday, June 28, 2011

God Himself Was Whispering

While sitting down to dissect the McDonald's 1989 classic "Menu Song" I thought I was in for a study of all that is right with the craft of film making. It was only after a 22-year hiatus from the spot (used to de-mesmirize my brain) that I could finally find a flaw. Sure it all begins with the portrayal of a daily truth, us Americans ordering one of our three daily meals from a McDonald's. And then, amazingly and unexpectedly, the patron at the front of the line orders the entire menu in a stunningly beautiful torrent of song that SHOTS magazine once described to be "as if God himself was whispering in your ear'.

After such a disruptive zig during what should have been an obvious zag moment, it's easy for the final twenty four seconds of film to be one giant swirl of love and emotion in your mind. But nothing is perfect, as I found on my 658th viewing last night. At :06 into the film the McDonald's employees turn from their duties to join the rest of the patrons, in awe of the breakthrough moment. But later, at :14 the same McDonald's employees turn around again! As if they weren't already turned around! Like they never turned around the first time! Its a stunning error that has ramifications far beyond the ad world. It could come back to haunt the goals and dreams of an entire television influenced generation. Even as I type this I wonder if I should post it. Maybe I shouldn't. OK, I will. But please don't share it with friends you think it could affect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfH3yf-vf3A

3 comments:

  1. I feel horrible at correcting you, but they do a half turn at :06 and then complete the turn at :14. It's classic McDonald's.

    But I did find similar screw ups in the E*TRADE "MONEY OUT THE WAZOO" spot, Snickers "CHEF" spot and Skittles "FEEL THE RAINBOW" spot.

    Also, a cereal commercial from the early 90's shows a young child doing a Triple Take after first making a false turnaround at :08. Making the Triple Take actually just a 2.5 take. Which of course, renders the tagline in the spot - null and void.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, leave it to the Canadians to alter the seemingly perfect. But without SAG rules to worry about and their national love of grapefruit juice, I suppose this version was inevitable.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=votLu2X3DBI

    ReplyDelete